Monday, March 03, 2014

According to Schedule

Yesterday the flexibility kicked in as plans changed mid-afternoon.  But the morning went according to the schedule.

Our whole team paid a visit to a small village called Stupini.  About a kilometre past Simpetru, the road becomes a gravel road for about 3 km before running out.  2km up this gravel road is the little chapel in Stupini where a visiting pastor and Florin, (see his photo with the heater at Simpetru in an earlier blog) helps provide leadership and encouragement to the small, elderly congregation.

Jess (L) and Dina (R)
Each of our team spoke for a few minutes using Emil & Dina, son & daughter of Mircea & Maria as interpreters.  It's no small thing to provide almost simultaneous translation, and most of us can come up with english words or expressions that they are not yet familiar with, which results in a short intermission and a little mirth while the combined English-Romanian language skills of those present establish a route forward and an explanation of the meaning.

Joan asked me to take the last slot (which was expected to be longer) in the service, which like most Romanian services lasts longer than those in the UK.  I needed to finish my noon, but didn't know what time I would be starting.  I think that I got up to speak at about 11:15, and Joan as requested, gave me a nod at 11:58 which gave me a couple of minutes to wrap up.

It's quite interesting attending a service with little idea of what one is going to speak about.  Because each community is so different, and this is my first time visiting, there is a need to look, listen, and pray for guidance!  As the service proceeded, prompted by something said earlier in the service, my thoughts focussed on Psalm 105.  I borrowed a Romanian Bible, scribbled some notes using the key verbs (imperatives) from the Romanian translation alongside my English notes.

Romanian is a latin language (similarities to French, Spanish, etc) with bits of slavic influence.  (Romania is described as an island of Latin in a sea of Slavs.)  With the notes in front of me, and Dina translating, I attempted some Romanian pronunciation, which drew a combination of sympathy, amusement, correction and (I like to think) appreciation for the effort, from the congregation, while Dina, interpreting, corrected me and made what I said in English make sense for the listeners.
Speaking at Stupini
while Dina interpreted

I remember an experienced pastor comment to me (years ago) that most people know about their problems and difficulties.  They don't need to be reminded of them, but need encouragement to work through them.  Yesterday I tried to apply his advice.

No comments: