Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Planting Season

I had looked at the weather shortly before I travelled! listened to the experience of those who had gone before before, and prepared with clothes suitable for the end of winter, including some thermal layers just in case the snow was serious.

The reality was that I saw no snow, we had clear sunny days most of the time, with temperatures generally 9 to 19 degrees. The air temperature in the evenings was quite low, so I was glad of a warm jacket, but most of the buildings were so warm (due to the wood burning stoves) inside that after peeling off jacket and sweater, a layer of perspiration soaked though the remaining clothes. I haven't used many of the bulkier clothes I took with me.

One of the villages
These signs of spring have brought people in the county side out to their gardens, allotments and fields to clear the ground, trim the vines, and sow the seeds. everywhere there are small bonfires as the cuttings and waste is burned. Looking over the valleys (which is what the roads mainly follow) it's often possible to see a dozen little fires burning.

I've been told that some villages take a real pride in their fields (for those of you old enough to remember, some these fields resemble the long narrow strips of land of feudal England). There is a sense of competition, wanting to be really early to have their land prepared and seed sown.  Mircea assures me that Simpetru (where he is the pastor) is consistently one of the earliest of the villages, and of course he is completely objective in his opinions of his special village.

No comments: