Saturday, March 08, 2014

Wednesday-Friday

Each morning I spoke to the pastors for two 90 minute sessions, spending about 60% of the time traveling through the very short letter of Paul (Pavel) to Philemon (Filimon). In addition to being a masterful argument for forgiveness, it provides a bedrock for the argument against slavery which has plagued mankind for centuries.

Talk the Word
I was also able to introduce them to a publication called Talk the Word, only published in the UK a couple of months ago. A combined project of Walk Through the Bible, Scripture Union Scotland, The Scottish Bible Society, and Counties, I had been able to get it translated into Romanian, had 25 copies printed in Chichester just before I flew out here. Each of the pastors took two copies, with a commitment to train one of their congregation to use it.

British Graphics
Romanian Text
Finally, a lot of conversation revolved around ideas and change. Like people the world over, on day two most of the men sat in the same place as on the first day. I asked them all to move to another seat, just to get them used to the idea that change isn't always bad. This was accomplished with a mixture of surprise and amusement, and I think that they got the point!

In the evenings I spoke to the church in Simpetru once (for the last time on this visit, where again there were 13 visitors), and then for two nights to the Baptist church in Zalau, where there was a very warm response to a difficult subject I had been asked to address.

No comments: