Thursday, February 27, 2014

So, why Romania?

Yesterday I left home at 04:00 for the drive to Luton Airport and to meet up with a team of 5 others for a flight to Cluj Napoca in north west Romania, better know as Transilvania (that's the the local spelling).  We're working with the local Maranatha Mission, an informal network of pastors who have established church communities in the rural villages around Zalau.

So, why Romania?

16 months ago I was made redundant.  Apart from the initial shock and the nervousness associated with 'what's next', my wife and regarded this the first step in an answer to prayers we had been praying for the past couple of years.  Apart from the change in responsibilities that happened after the boys left home, there was a real desire to have more opportunity to use my training and experience and God-given gifts in teaching the Bible - a life transforming book.

So rather than looking for employment, I set up my own business and looked for clients.  Designed for greater flexibility, the first half of 2013 was a shaky start, but since the end of the summer work has been about as much as I can handle.

So, why Romania?
I recognise that I haven't answered the question yet.  In three further steps I felt a clear leading here in ways I didn't engineer.

  1. On April 2nd I had a phone call from a colleague asking if I cold fly to Bucharest 5 days later to train some church leaders to deliver the Walk Through the Bible's New Testament seminar. I went, had a great time, and have been invited back.
  2. A few weeks later in an after church conversation, I met Mike who had been part of this the team I'm now travelling with. He mentioned introducing me to some Romanian pastors who were visiting soon.  I expressed some interest, but didn't think much more of it at the time.
  3. In June I had an email from Mike inviting me to that meeting later that week.  There I met Mircea and Dan, who quizzed me on what I did and had done - and told me more about Maranatha Mission.  Much to my surprise, they invited me to visit them as a key need they have is helping to provide Bible training for the (mainly) lay pastors.
So, eight months later, here I am in Zalau. Romania.

No comments: